Sunday, October 4, 2015

Generosity in Poverty: 10 Simple Ways to give

  But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.” 
Mark 12:42-44

I picture Jesus whispering to his buddies so as not to embarrass the woman. "Did you see that woman put in a couple pennies? To you it may seem like nothing, but to her it is everything. She is generous even in her poverty!" 

Over the last year I have felt convicted. I am not a naturally generous person. But God has been changing that, and convinced me that my 'poverty' is not an excuse.

Last year I made a new friend. My husband, Stephen, and I had been living in Dallas for about a month and we spotted a young couple with a young son and infant. Watching them creepily across the parking lot I said to Stephen (as we put our own infant in the car) "We should introduce ourselves to them if we see them again." Not long later we met and became fast friends.

My new friend Lindsay was also a stay at home mom and we bonded over our husbands similar salaries, which made for shared interest in penny pinching. And this strangely started my journey to being more generous within my 'poverty.'*
*I put 'poverty' in quotes because fact is, I live in a first world country and have plenty to eat, even though it can feel like we have little else.  

On a number of occasions this verse (or an abridged version of it) kept popping in my head. 



 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 

2 Corinthians 9:7


To many people Lindsay and I may not have a lot of be generous with.  We both were living in two bedroom apartments with kids, we both had a limited budget, I was in a one car family, but it was through this relationship that God started to show me how to offer up those pennies I'd been holding.

So here are....

 10 ways to be generous in your 'poverty'


  1. Share Bulk Groceries: I don't know who started it, but Lindsay and I started sharing groceries. I'd buy the bulk bag of potatoes and know it would sprout before I got to the last 4, so I'd take 4 over to Lindsay. She would do the same.  
  2. Share Baked Goods: Many times in my heart I had decided to give some cookies away and just didn't. Lindsay, also a sweets lover, helped me get over this. She was so appreciative, I felt so good to be able to share. It was also a bonus to know I could make a treat and not worry about eating the whole batch unassisted!
  3. Give or Lend Children's Toys/things:  Lindsay gave me a number of toys her sons no longer loved or used. I was able to lend a walking toy to another friend until we need it back for another child. This can also be expanded to anything baby related that kids grow out of in months (that boppy, bumbo, swing, play mat, books, clothes etc.). Baby stuff is expensive and if it is taking up space in your storage and someone else could use it, you can lend it out!
  4. Give Rides: Lindsay was a life saver in the hot summer days.  I was a new mom, new to Texas and lacking a car for half the week. She would invite me to go grocery shopping, or to consignment sales and we would go together. Other friends have picked us up from the mechanic, or driven us to church.  Something as simple as a ride can be huge and a form of generosity most americans can offer. 
  5. Give Clothes: Hand-me-downs aren't just for kids anymore! I love when my friends think to offer me clothes before they drop it at a thrift store. Lindsay and I do this on the regular as we clean out our closets to simplify.  Particularly for those with limited finances, clothes shopping is fairly low on the priority list, so if you have clothing that isn't hole-y or stained, ask around and see if anyone wants to do a clothes exchange or just to rummage through your stuff. 
  6. Lend out Books or Movies: Generosity doesn't have to be giving things away forever. (Although write your name in books if you want it back) We don't own a lot of books, but the ones we do own we want everyone to read! It's so fun when our friends get into a book we love.  Not only do books and movies have the benefit of giving enjoyment to the viewer, they also can promote good conversation for the future. 
  7. Give your Time: In our first months in Texas a man climbed onto our 3rd floor balcony and I caught him through the window with his hand on my husbands road bike. I had my 5 month old on my hip and I was pretty scared. The man saw me and backed away and over the rail by the time I got my phone to call the police, but boy was I thankful for Lindsay and her husband Eduyn.  They were SO generous with their time. Eduyn walked over to my place to walk me and the baby back to their apartment. They shared delicious traditional Venezuelan breakfast with me and played with Charlotte.  They let me stay as long as I wanted even though it was a rare morning alone for them as their boys were with their grandmother.  It was extremely meaningful to me that they were generous with their time. I'm not saying you'll find yourself in a situation like this, but being available just to be with someone can mean a lot. 
  8. Be generous with your Skills: Cleaning, organizing, mental processing, furniture lifting, computer fixing, child watching, encouraging, decorating, photography, building, creating, etc. I am not saying to work for free all the time, but when you feel lead, your skills can be a gift to others. (We didn't have money to spare for maternity portraits but a friend of mine did them for us, and it's a blessing I'll never forget)
  9. Share a Meal: There are lots of inexpensive options for meals. Most of my cooking for larger numbers of people involves a large helping of rice. People appreciate food; that's why there are three on this list to specify how to be generous with it. 
  10. Be Generous with your Story: One of the other great things Lindsay gave me was a generosity with her story. She was open about her marriage, her struggles and her desires for life. It helped me to be open as well.  Being generous with your words in letters, emails, and messages is also a way to encourage others that isn't costly, but is valuable. 
The more I have been able to practice giving the easier it gets and the more my heart wants to give. Following through on that desire is the first step. Is there someone you wanted to send a letter to but didn't get around to it? Do you have a neighbor that needs assistance to get to the grocery store? Do you know a family with kids who may need a night out but don't have money for a sitter? Or do you have friends who'd like company for a meal, or cookies before a test?

The ironic thing about being generous in your poverty is  you start to feel like you have a lot more to give. 

1 comment:

  1. These are some great ideas and a good perspective on generosity.

    ReplyDelete