Saturday, September 12, 2015

How to Test a Capsule Wardrobe Without the Commitment

There is this new trend going around the fashion world called 'capsule wardrobes.' Some others talk about a French closet. Either way, it's the same concept. The idea is to maximize your style and simplify your life by making up a curated, typically, seasonal set of clothes made up of items you can mix and match to make a variety of options.

If you took math in school it's basic multiplication; with three pairs of pants and three tops that can be matched together, you can make nine different outfits. Add in shoes, and accessories and your options only expand even more. So how many items of clothing does one person really need? THAT number is debatable across the blogosphere and I'm not going to get into that. However, there are a lot of concepts that I LOVE from this movement, and a lot of benefits I have already started to experience that I will touch on.

One blogger who was instrumental in getting me on board has a blog named un-fancy and I found her blog through another Dallas mom's post about jumping into a capsule wardrobe. (Click the links to check them out for yourself)
Both have great advice and wonderful ideas on how to process and start.

I started slowly and here is how I would suggest someone to start if they are skeptical.

Since it is almost fall and I have been thinking through my own fall wardrobe here is how you can join the trend.

Become your own curator. Why curate? Because that is what I feel like I am doing. Just like a good curator would do in a gallery you need to think through a collection of pieces that work together and compliment each other, in color, theme, feel,  and purpose.

Try out a small collection of your own for a week and see if you miss having all the others, then if you like it, try it out for a bit longer and see what you grab from your closet that you didn't have in the beginning and edit your collection. Soon, I think you will find that you miss very little and start to feel less sentimental attachment to clothes that you never wear and can start to condense your wardrobe down to the essentials.

The Mission should you choose to accept it: Create a fall collection.


Start with things you have and pull your favorites first:
(this is just a basic list to give you an idea of how to start not a set of rules)


Pants:

2 pairs of jeans (your go-to pair better be one of them)
1 pair of pants of a different color
Black skinnies (if you aren't a black skinnies kind of person, that is fine, I just find them to be very versatile)

Shirts:

Two Sweaters
6 shirts (a couple button ups makes for even more options with layering)
1-2 cardigans
1-2 light jackets/hoodie
gray/black/white t-shirts and camisoles

Dressy clothes:

Skirts: 2 if you wear them
Dresses: One comfy, one dressy (I would personally grab 3 dresses since I almost never wear skirts)

Now look at your collection and trade out things that only work with one pair of pants or one sweater.        Think through what kind of style you want to have and how you want to present yourself. Do you prefer more relaxed items or want to look more edgy; do you need run around at the park clothes or do you need work clothes?

Accessories: 

Belts: one brown and black (Or one skinny, one fat)
SCARVES: 2- Okay this is my weak spot, I have probably 30 scarves and I am not getting rid of any anytime soon. That said, try pulling out one or two that will work with your shirts. If you chose solid color shirts a patterned scarf can go a long way and visa-versa.
Necklaces: 2- having a couple on hand that work well with your shirts is crucial when getting ready and can really add spunk to an outfit. If you know what works ahead of time there is no thought needed when getting dressed.  I'm a pretty no-fuss kinda girl but it still used to take me a couple tries of different outfits on Sunday before I settled into my pick. Now, I usually know before I even go in my closet. It's pretty awesome.

Shoes:

Pair of Boots or two: being in Texas my new ankle boots will be my go-to, but if you are in a colder climate a different pair may be better.
Sneakers: a pair of Vans, Keds, Converse, etc.
Dress shoes: One pair of flats, one pair of heals (I did two pair of heals because I have a history of trouble finding good flats)

Trust me you can do this experiment.  I started slowly and did a good bit of blog reading to convince myself.  I am still not to the point of getting rid of everything, but I am down to about 50% of what I once had and feel like I have more options. I have put away clothing from the off-seasons into storage or the back of the closet

I did test out my own small wardrobe, within my wardrobe, to see how I liked it in the spring and I love it. Ever since I have been whittling down.

For additional inspiration you can read a little about Marie Kondo and her book 'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' or if you are like me and want the fast version you can watch a short video for inspiration.

This fall, I'll be taking my own medicine and trying my capsule wardrobe out. Of course, being in Texas, I may not really get to test it out for another month or two, but it is ready to go.

Have fun experimenting and message me with progress, stories or photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment