Friday, September 4, 2015

Why are the Lilies Content?

Like many other folks, I have a coveting problem. The catch is the Lord hasn't blessed us with an abundance of cash. Don't get me wrong, we have enough and over the last year of purging and reorganizing I see we have TOO much. So how is it that I always FEEL like I need more? I can blame it on social media; Facebook friends buying houses, getting pets, and building gardens...Or I could blame it on Instagram and Pinterest for glossing life and making everything look perfectly lit and curated, but I'm starting to believe the root is much deeper.

This year God has been teaching me a couple things.
First, my discontent is from my lack of gratefulness.  Second, I have a lot of crap in my life that blocks me from seeing the gold God has already supplied us with.  Third, it takes time to change.

I desire to be more disciplined with my spending of what I am given.

I want to feel more peaceful in my home.

I still want to look fly and be comfortable in my clothes.

I want to be CONTENT with what I have.

In Matthew 6:32-33 it says when speaking about our anxieties over physical needs,

"For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."

It may seem like a strange way to seek after God, but I feel right now, for myself, part of seeking after God is to simplify my lifestyle and learn to be content with what I have. I hope that in organizing, remaking, and simplifying I learn more about thankfulness and see what I've already been blessed with, as well as start to develop an attitude that is more healthy in relation to things.

So that is the short of why I am starting this journey. I will post the small chores I tackle and discuss strategies for change. I hope you can join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment